The ScreeningBC Mobile Mammogram service will be in Sooke at the Shoppers Drug Mart parking lot, between March 26, 2018 and March 29, 2018. For more information or to book your appointment, call 1-800-663-9203.
The Screening Mammography Decision Aid is now available to support women in making an informed decision to screen for breast cancer using mammography.
First piloted by the Screening Mammography Program of BC (SMP) in 1990, the mobile mammography service visits more than 120 rural communities across BC, including more than 35 First Nations communities annually.
Mobile mammography service performs about 10% of the total number of screening mammograms in BC. There are three mobile screening units that serve rural and remote communities in BC, including Sooke.
March 26, 2018 – March 29, 2018.
Sooke (Mobile Visit)
Shoppers Drug Mart – Sooke, 6660 Sooke Road, Unit 4000
Sooke, BC, V9Z 0A5
- In 2014, SMP performed 259,341 screening mammograms.
- The majority of exams (66%) are performed for women between the ages of 50 to 69.
- There were 1,404 breast cancers reported in 2014 as of July 15, 2015 (5.4 per 1,000 exams).
- The 2014 overall cancer detection rate increased compared with 2013, from 4.8 to 5.4 cancers detected per 1000 women screened.
- The overall cancer detection rate is highest on both first and subsequent screens for women who reported a family history (mother, sister, and daughter).
- The proportion of cancers detected increases as women age.
For more information, see this mobile mammography service fact sheet.