As of Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2021, 88.8% (4,117,400) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.6% (3,830,063) received their second dose.
In addition, 89.3% (3,862,332) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 83.3% (3,604,199) received their second dose.
Over a four-day period, B.C. is reporting 2,090 new cases of COVID-19, including four epi-linked cases, for a total of 194,581 cases in the province:
- Oct. 8-9: 603 new cases
- Oct. 9-10: 634 new cases
- Oct. 10-11: 468 new cases
- Oct. 11-12: 385 new cases
There are 5,183 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 186,955 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 357 individuals are in hospital and 153 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
- 814 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 2,182
- 229 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 647
- 404 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 841
- 351 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 833
- 292 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 622
- No new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
- Total active cases: 58
In the past 96 hours, 28 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,029.
The new deaths include:
- Fraser Health: five
- Vancouver Coastal Health: three
- Interior Health: eight
- Northern Health: seven
- Island Health: five
There have been two new health-care facility outbreaks at West Shore Laylum and Evergreen Manor (Fraser Health), for a total of 19 active outbreaks, including:
- long-term care:
- Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, The Residence in Mission, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre, Cherington Place, West Shore Laylum (Fraser Health);
- Cottonwoods Care Centre, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Centre (Interior Health); and
- Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).
- acute care:
- Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health); and
- University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health).
- assisted or independent living:
- Sunset Manor, Evergreen Manor (Fraser Health); and
- Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).
The workplace and communal-living outbreak at Fort St. John – Site C (Northern Health) has been declared over.
From Oct. 4-10, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 68.1% of cases and from Sept. 27-Oct. 10, they accounted for 73.7% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Oct. 4-10) – Total 4,341
- Not vaccinated: 2,649 (61.0%)
- Partially vaccinated: 310 (7.1%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,382 (31.8%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 27-Oct. 10) – Total 383
- Not vaccinated: 253 (66.1%)
- Partially vaccinated: 29 (7.6%)
- Fully vaccinated: 101 (26.4%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 4-10)
- Not vaccinated: 281.3
- Partially vaccinated: 84.4
- Fully vaccinated: 33.1
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 27-Oct. 10)
- Not vaccinated: 40.3
- Partially vaccinated: 12.3
- Fully vaccinated: 2.3
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,978,015 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
Update for visitors to long-term care, assisted-living and acute-care facilities:
Starting Oct. 12, all visitors to long-term care and assisted-living facilities will need to show proof they have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
Starting Oct. 26, all visitors to long-term care, assisted-living and acute-care facilities will need to show proof they are fully vaccinated with two doses of COVID-19 vaccine. Those who are not vaccinated will not be able to visit in these high-risk settings (excluding children 12 or under or those with an approved medical exemption).
- For information on a third dose for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register#immunocompromised
- As they become available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online: www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- For surgical renewal commitment progress reports, visit:
- For the Sept. 28, 2021, modelling presentation, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/9-28_PHO_modelling.pdf
- To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
- To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
- For new health measures in the Northern Health region, visit: https://stories.northernhealth.ca/news/new-health-measures-introduced-northern-health-region
- For the Aug. 31, 2021, modelling presentation, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/8-31_PHO_modelling.pdf
- For the provincial health officer’s order on masks in public indoor settings, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25217
- For the Aug. 23, 2021, announcement on proof of vaccination in B.C., visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25211
- For the new provincial health officer’s order on masks in public indoor settings, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25217
- For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
- For new health measures in the central Okanagan, visit:
- For information on breakthrough cases, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/7-27_breakthrough_cases.pdf
- Or see the BC Centre for Disease Control’s (BCCDC) weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
- Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
- To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: www2.gov.bc.ca/getvaccinated.html
- To learn about BC’s Restart plan, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart
- For recent modelling, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/6-28_PHO_presentation.pdf
- For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit:
- For guidance on restrictions, visit:
- The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
- BCCDC: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
- Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
- Island Health: https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/data-outbreaks
- Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
- Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures
Previous provincial updates
- 970 new BC COVID-19 cases, 11 deaths, Nov 29, 2021 (3 days)
- 341 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, Nov 26, 2021
- 424 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, Nov 25, 2021
- 322 new BC COVID-19 cases, 9 deaths, Nov 24, 2021
- 324 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Nov 23, 2021
- 1,052 new BC COVID-19 cases, 10 deaths, Nov 22, 2021 (3 days)
- 497 new BC COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths, Nov 19, 2021
- 468 new BC COVID-19 cases, 9 deaths, Nov 18, 2021
- 324 new BC COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths, Nov 17, 2021
- 338 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 death, Nov 16, 2021
- 1,270 new BC COVID-19 cases, 16 deaths, Nov 15, 2021 (3 days)
- 992 new BC COVID-19 cases, 23 deaths, Nov 12, 2021 (2 days)
- 555 new BC COVID-19 cases, 11 deaths, Nov 10, 2021
- 500 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, Nov 9, 2021
- 1,438 new BC COVID-19 cases, 17 deaths, Nov 8, 2021 (3 days)
- 549 new BC COVID-19 cases, 1 deaths, Nov 5, 2021
- 596 new BC COVID-19 cases, 8 deaths, Nov 4, 2021
- 430 new BC COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths, Nov 3, 2021
- 406 new BC COVID-19 cases, 5 deaths, Nov 2, 2021
- 1,375 new BC COVID-19 cases, 25 deaths, Nov 1, 2021 (3 days)