From the Nov 4 modeling, here. The unvaccinated have 10% greater likelihood than the fully vaccinated of contracting COVID if exposed to the virus, have a 50% greater likelihood of requiring hospitalization, and have a 46% greater likelihood of dying as a result of COVID. The vaccines work.
As of Friday, Nov. 5, 2021, 90.2% (4,179,061) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 85.7% (3,973,745) have received their second dose.
In addition, 90.6% (3,917,869) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 86.3% (3,733,309) have received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 549 new cases of COVID-19, including one epi-linked case, for a total of 208,265 cases in the province.
There are 4,483 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 201,267 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 441 individuals are in hospital and 129 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
- 184 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 1,903
- 78 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 601
- 110 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 686
- 102 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 627
- 73 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 605
- two new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
- Total active cases: 61
In the past 24 hours, one new death (Northern Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 2,201.
There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Bethshan Gardens (Fraser Health). The outbreak at West Shore Laylum (Fraser Health) has been declared over, for a total of 37 active outbreaks, including:
- long-term care:
- Cherington Place, Queens Park Care Centre, Rosemary Heights Seniors Village, Tabor Home, Cascade Gardens (Fraser Health);
- Amica Lions Gate, Amica Edgemont (Vancouver Coastal Health);
- Cottonwoods Care Centre, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Centre, Deni House, Brocklehurst Gemstone Care Centre, Sun Pointe Village (Interior Health);
- Peace Villa (Northern Health); and
- Chartwell Malaspina Care Residence (Island Health).
- acute care:
- Mission Memorial Hospital, Chilliwack General Hospital, Queen’s Park Care Centre, Abbotsford Regional Hospital (Fraser Health);
- Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health);
- University Hospital of Northern BC, GR Baker Memorial Hospital, Bulkley Valley District Hospital (Northern Health); and
- Nanaimo Regional General Hospital (Island Health)
- assisted or independent living:
- Menno Terrace West, The Emerald at Elim Village, Swedish Assisted Living Residence, Harrison Pointe, Norman Manor, Pacific Carlton Seniors Community, Rideau Retirement Residence, Tabor Manor, The Cedars, Hallmark on the Lake, Hallmark on the Park and Bethshan Gardens (Fraser Health).
There have been two new outbreaks at King’s Christian School and Vernon Christian School (Interior Health).
From Oct. 28 to Nov. 3, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 65.3% of cases.
From Oct. 21 to Nov. 3, they accounted for 71.1% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Oct. 28 to Nov. 3) – Total 3,366
- Not vaccinated: 2,017 (59.9%)
- Partially vaccinated: 181 (5.4%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,168 (34.7%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Oct. 21 to Nov. 3) – Total 456
- Not vaccinated: 294 (64.5%)
- Partially vaccinated: 30 (6.6%)
- Fully vaccinated: 132 (28.9%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 28 to Nov. 3)
- Not vaccinated: 254.8
- Partially vaccinated: 62.3
- Fully vaccinated: 27.0
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 21 to Nov. 3)
- Not vaccinated: 56.9
- Partially vaccinated: 16.0
- Fully vaccinated: 2.9
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 8,311,858 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
- For the Nov. 4, 2021, modelling presentation, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/04.11.21_Covid19Modelling.pdf
- For the Oct. 26, 2021, announcement on COVID-19 booster shots for all British Columbians, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25604
- For information on booster doses, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/booster
- For regional restrictions in the Northern Health region, visit: https://www.northernhealth.ca/sites/northern_health/files/health-information/health-topics/orders/documents/nh-gatherings-events-orders-oct-2021.pdf
- For information on a third dose for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register#immunocompromised
- As they become available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online: www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- For surgical renewal commitment progress reports, visit:
- To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
- To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
- For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care
- workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
- For information on breakthrough cases, see the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
- Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
- To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register or https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/dose-2
- For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
- For guidance on restrictions, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
- The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
- BCCDC: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
- Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
- Island Health: https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/data-outbreaks-facilities
- Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
- Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures