Three new sets of bus pullouts are now complete along Highway 14, as part of a number of improvements to boost safety, reduce congestion and keep people moving along the corridor.
The pullouts, on both sides of Highway 14, are located at the West Shore Parkway, Laidlaw Road and Harbourview Road. They will allow buses to move fully out of traffic, reducing congestion and the risk of collisions, while providing a safe area for transit users to enter and exit the buses.
The bus pullouts are now open, complete with deceleration and acceleration lanes, new bus shelters, railings and enhanced lighting at all six stops.
The stops at Laidlaw and Harbouview also have new, illuminated crosswalks, allowing pedestrian traffic to safely cross Highway 14, in order to access or depart from the new bus stop locations.
These pullouts are the first step in the Province’s $10-million investment in immediate upgrades on Highway 14, as part of the multi-phased safety, transit and congestion improvement strategy announced in January 2018. More potential upgrades are under development in consultation with the community.
The ministry recently completed lighting upgrades at each intersection on Highway 14 between Highway 1 and the Sooke River Bridge. As well, new safety signs are now visible at Kangaroo, Gillespie and Parkland roads.
- Safer sidewalks, upgraded intersection coming to Sooke
- New rest area near Sombrio Beach opening over long weekend
- Members of the North Sooke Community Association bring Sooke Rd realignment concerns to Council
- Highway 14’s future taking shape, Sooke River Road intersection on the horizon
- Sooke Students delayed or stuck as a result of today’s crashes on Sooke Rd
- Two crashes tie up Sooke Rd, one near the Shell station one near Stickleback
- Crash on Sooke Rd at EMCS Sept 4 2018 2:55pm
- Nightly closures on Gillespie Road
- Sunday is last day to provide input on Highway 14 Corridor Improvements
- New bus pullouts now operational on Highway 14
- Open Letter: “Are you kidding me?” BCHwy14 open house disappoints
- Overview of improvements to Sooke Road: Ministry Open House
- Public invited to provide input on Highway 14 upgrades
- New crosswalks on Sooke Road
- Digging deep as the Sooke Road improvements continue
- Bus stop blunder: Six recently installed bus stop pads need replacing
- Sooke Road improvements update from the mayor
- Stumped by the post?
- Expect traffic delays with Highway 14 ongoing improvements
- Fundraiser for the other family impacted by the deadly December crash on Sooke Rd
- Letter: Park the panic when it comes to Sooke Road!
- Video: What this Port Renfrew student thinks of today’s announcement
- Improvements on Sooke Rd to begin immediately
- Sooke Road experiences 837 crashes between 2011-2015
- Sooke mayor awaits provincial Hwy14 report, says staff are working on in-town improvements
- Sooke Rd accident fatal
- Head on MVI closes Sooke Rd
- Wednesday afternoon crash on Sooke Road
- LETTER: OPSRRA pleased the Hwy14 corridor review will extend to Port Renfrew
- Sooke Fire reporting mid afternoon crash, Sooke at Manzer