The following was posted on the District of Sooke website on August 18. Deadline for applications is September 14.
Located on the south western tip of Vancouver Island, BC, Sooke has a sheltered harbour and is a scenic half-hour drive from BC’s capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking or sailing.
Due to a retirement, an excellent opportunity exists for a Fire Chief to join our dynamic and committed Senior Leadership Team, providing the full range of fire protection services through a combination of career and volunteer staff. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Fire Chief is responsible for the effective and efficient operation and administration of the Fire Department and Emergency Program. This exempt position is full-time, permanent management position and includes a comprehensive benefits package and competitive salary that is commensurate with qualifications and experience. A start date of November 1, 2016 is anticipated.
The position will be of interest to a confident professional who has proven leadership abilities, well-developed organization skills, and effective communication and public relation skills. We are seeking an individual with strong leadership skills and knowledge of the complexities of operating and managing a volunteer-career composite Fire Department. The Chief’s position is both administrative and operational, requiring strong Fire Ground capabilities day to day and competent administrative skills to guide and manage both the Fire Department and Emergency Programs for the District. Completion of a recognized study program in Fire Administration, along with a minimum of 10 years firefighting experience, including at a senior fire command level. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- High school graduation plus demonstrated progression and experience in all aspects of fire suppression to recognized NFPA standards
- Minimum five (5) years experience effectively operating at a rank of Assistant Fire Chief or higher, with a minimum of ten (10) years fire service experience
- Completion of NFPA 1021, Fire Officer 3, or combination of education and experience
- Completion of Fire Inspection, Investigation and Prevention Training through a recognized institution
- Completion of or enrollment in and substantial completion of a post secondary degree or diploma program in Emergency Management or Fire Administration
Knowledge and training in the British Columbia Emergency Response Management System (BCERMS)
- Experience working in a volunteer-career composite Fire Service environment
- Current BC Class 3 Driver’s License with Airbrake endorsement (or provincial equivalent), including a clean driver’s licence abstract
- Good understanding of local government structure, concepts, and procedures
- Preference for someone willing to live in the District boundaries
- Leadership Aptitudes:
- ability to lead or participate in a team
- inspire and guide individuals toward a common goal, task, or situation
- demonstrate a positive attitude, energy, honesty in actions
- personal ownership of the group’s effectiveness
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Please submit your detailed resume and a cover letter outlining your interest in this opportunity, including your salary expectations, to:
Director of Corporate Services
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, September 14, 2016.