A petition for improved access to healthcare in Sooke has been started on Change.org. You are invited to read the letter and to add your name to the petition, if you wish.
Authored by Patrick Allen of Sooke, BC, the signed petition will be sent to Hon. John Horgan, MLA Langford – Juan De Fuca and copied to:
- Hon. Terry Lake, Minister of Health
- Hon. Christy Clarke, Premier of British Columbia
- Hon. Dr. Andrew Weaver, MLA, Leader of the Green Party of BC
- Dr. Brendan Carr, CEO VIHA
- Mr. Stephen Brown, Deputy Minister of Health, British Columbia
SPN readers who are concerned about the lack of access to adequate healthcare services in Sooke are encouraged to read the letter authored by Patrick Allen and to add their name to the petition. Further, we are asking that you share this with others.
Healthcare is a continued and growing concern for those in the greater Sooke area (from East Sooke to Port Renfrew). According to a survey (Health Services in Sooke: Survey Results) put out by Sooke PocketNews last month:
- More than 65% of respondents felt that access to medical services in Sooke was either poor or non-existent.
- Less than 40% of respondents have doctor in Sooke.
- Just under 45% of respondents have required x-ray services recently.
- Over half of the respondents found Highway 14 to be problematic in getting to a doctor’s appointment.
- Transit clearly isn’t a viable option. Over 90% who travel out of town for medical services do so using their own car.
The survey had 942 responses and 1,460 comments, and was utilized by the mayor in her push for better healthcare in Sooke (see Mayor’s continued push for better medical services obtains CRD support)
- Facilities expansion and new resources added to Sooke’s existing health services
- Strong advocacy and willing practitioners put Sooke at the front of the healthcare crisis line
- Letter: Inadequate ambulance service in Sooke
- Sooke – your health, your community, your say … TODAY!
- Health care in Sooke: two opportunities to give feedback
- Sooke Seniors “Aging with Grace” summit summary
- The SPN’s Happiness Index for Sooke is set at solid C, or Adequate
- LETTER Sooke mom pleads for Horgan to hear: her child requires meds they can’t afford and Pharmacare doesn’t cover
- Minister of Health joins conversation on Sooke Region Health Care Facility
- Online petition calls on Horgan to address Sooke’s healthcare crisis
- Mayor’s continued push for better medical services obtains CRD support
- Health Services in Sooke: Survey Results
- Sooke mayor seeks community input on access to health services: Survey CLOSED
- Sooke Region Communities Health Network hosts Health Summit