-Sooke Fire Rescue Service, on Facebook
Open air burning is now permitted (October 1) within the District of Sooke in compliance with Bylaw 292. Reminder that only yard waste is permitted. No burning of garbage or construction material (plywood, pressure treated lumber, trim, etc.) is allowed. Please review Bylaw 292 prior to starting your fire.
A few quick points from Bylaw 292:
- You are able to burn yard waste any day from October 1 to May 31 if your property is larger than 2500 square meters (larger than 0.61 acres).
- If you are not located in the Sewer Specified Area, you can burn any day from October 1 to May 31.
- If you live in the Sewer Specified Area and your property is under 2500 square meters you can only burn when the Ministry of Environment venting index is FAIR or GOOD for SRN VAN ISLD for “TODAY”, not the forecast for “TOMORROW”.
- Permits are only required for machine built burn piles and can only be used on properties over 4 hectares (10 acres).
- Fires are only permitted between sunrise and sunset of the same day.
- Fires are not permitted when winds exceed 15km/h.
- You must be over 18 years old to light or maintain a fire and have sufficient equipment readily available to extinguish the fire.
- The person supervising the fire must take reasonable precautions to prevent smoke generated from the fire from becoming a nuisance.
If you have any questions, please call District of Sooke Bylaw (250-642-1634) or Sooke Fire Department (250-642-5422) before lighting your fire.