Sooke’s schools are full. Where do we put Sooke’s next elementary school?
First a little back ground. Every year SD62 submits a document to the provincial government making a case for the capital projects (meaning infrastructure) it requires, as does every district in the province. The government then chooses who has the greatest need and hands out far too little money. Sooke is unique in the fact that it is one of a few districts that is actually growing.
Some things to keep in mind:
- SD 62 includes Sooke, Langford, Metchosen, Colwood and the unincorporated areas stretching from Port Renfrew to the Highlands including East Sooke.
- Sooke, Langford and Colwood are all in need of new schools.
- Saseenos elementary has 2 empty class rooms.
- Sooke elementary needs to be replaced.
- École Poirier hosts French Immersion, but French is growing so fast that every year it threatens to displace the English kids.
- Port Renfrew elementary is almost empty.
- Journey has room to grow.
- EMCS needs additional classes add but has no room to grow.
So, where do we spend the money?
SD62 School Trustee