The Otter Point Volunteer Fire Department has recently released its annual report. Highlights include:
- Serves 1,100 properties covering roughly 24 km sq, serving a population of about 2,500
- Incident responses down 12.1% (174 in 2015; 153 in 2016, ending Oct 31)
- Person hours for all incidences totaled 767
- Mutual aid partners include Sooke, Shirley, East Sooke and Metchosin
- Seventeen active members, with an average service of 10 years
- Well over 460 hours of additional person training hours on evenings and weekends were logged by the volunteer fire fighters
- According to the official “Playbook,” Otter Point has declared an Interior Operations Service Level
Service pins were awarded to:
- Fire fighters Alastair Davy-Saxl and Brent Sluggett received their five years of service pin
- Commissioners Marie-Ann Davidson received a 15-year pin, Kenny Jones received a 20-year pin, and Bud Gibbons and Lloyd Heinemann received 30-year pins
Special recognition was given to Deputy Chief Duane Corbin and his wife Lila for the extraordinary contributions they have made over the years in supporting membership activities. Also acknowledged was Assistant Chief John McCrea for the well-coordinated and comprehensive training program. McCrea was promoted from Captain to Assistant Chief during this year.
The report concluded with the following acknowledgements:
Read the full report here.
- The latest annual report from the District of Sooke (Sooke Fire Rescue Dept 2015 Annual Report) is available here.