Coast Capital Savings, the credit union in Sooke, has published the following warning on their website. A link to the original article on the Coast Capital website appears in the Resources listed below. SPN received word of this scam via a Facebook Group, Sooke Uncut, also referenced below.
Coast Capital Savings Phishing Scam
These emails are fraudulent and not from Coast Capital Savings.
Coast Capital Savings would never ask members to disclose their confidential banking or personal information via unsolicited emails. If you receive an email of this nature, do not respond or click the link to the fraudulent site.
What the phishing emails could look like
- This email entices the recipient to log in as they normally would by entering their account number and Personal Access Code.
- The emails ask the recipient to click on a link to verify security information. The link connects to a website that looks very much like the authentic Coast Capital Savings website.
- The recipient is then asked to share further personal information such as their Social Insurance Number/ Social Security Number, date of birth or their email address. The information is then used for fraudulent purposes.
If you receive such an email, DO NOT click on the link or respond to the email as it may compromise your computer.
Find out more about phishing scams and what you can do to protect yourself from fraudsters.
If you have entered your banking or personal information on the website connected to this email, please call our Contact Centre immediately at 1-888-517-7000 Mon-Sat, 8am-8pm.
- Original notice from Coast Capital Savings
- Coast Cap on phishing scams
- Alerted by Sooke Uncut, a closed Facebook Group