Stephanie Dunlop, the fire chief of Metchosin, shared 14 photos of yesterday’s fire along Sooke Road (see below). The fire shut down Highway 14 for three hours on Wednesday, July 11, 2017.
One home was destroyed by the fire, which stretched two kilometers along a stretch of Sooke Rd.
Dunlop posted the following on her Facebook Page. To follow her directly, click her post.
“Few pictures from today’s fire on Sooke Road – great job guys, quick response allowed us a quick containment!
“Many Thanks to all emergency agencies who came out to help: BC Forest Service, Sooke, Otter Point, Langford & East Sooke Fire Departments, BCAS, Mainroad and BC Hydro – Community helping Community”
According to the Sooke mayor in an interview with CBC, there is some speculation that the fire started as a result of a vehicle dragging something along the road, which sparked and started the fire. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
- Rubbish fire behind Shoppers quickly extinguished
- VIDEO: CTV News update on the July 12 fire along Sooke Rd
- Fast-moving brush fire on Sooke Rd near Kangaroo fully contained
- Sooke fire attends a bush fire behind Evergreen Mall
- Mt. Manual Quimper fire day 2: Partially contained, and still burning (photos)
- Brush fire in Harbourview area, Saseenos
- Late afternoon fire quickly quelled
- Sooke Fire attends another fire near Wadams Way and Otter Point
- Fire on Ella Beach suppressed