The Manitoba Medical Examiner has completed the autopsies and confirmed that the two deceased men located in Manitoba on August 7, 2019, were Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky. Their next of kin have been notified and they have been offered support.
The RCMP can also confirm that the two died in what appears to be suicides by gunfire. While both individuals were deceased for a number of days before they were found, the exact time and date of their deaths are not known. However, there are strong indications that they had been alive for a few days since last seen in July and during the extensive search efforts in the Gillam area.
Police can also confirm that two firearms were also located with the two deceased males and forensic analysis is underway in order to definitively confirm that these weapons are connected with the northern BC homicide investigations.
The Manitoba RCMP have completed their search of the area where the two male bodies were discovered, approximately 8 km from where Mr. Dyck’s burnt RAV4 was located on July 22, 2019.
Investigators are now assessing all items located in Manitoba, along with the previous findings related to the three northern BC homicide investigations, in order to gain more clarity into what happened to Leonard Dyck, Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese. The assessment will review all the investigative findings to date, whether it is statements, evidentiary timelines, physical or digital evidence, and the BC RCMP have also have engaged our Behavioural Analysis Unit (BAU).
The BC RCMP commits that once we have completed that review within the next few weeks, we will be providing the families with an update with respect to the totality of the investigations and then releasing the information publicly.
Source: BC RCMP
Related news releases from the RCMP news site (all links open to RCMP media releases):
- 2019-08-07 – Significant announcement regarding the search for the BC suspects
- 2019-08-06 – RCMP Underwater Recovery Team completes a search of the Nelson River
- 2019-07-31 – Statement from the A/Commr. Jane MacLatchy
- 2019-07-30 – Information update
- 2019-07-29 – RCMP continues ongoing, search for suspects
- 2019-07-28 – RCMP continues, search for suspects
- 2019-07-26 – RCMP search for suspects
- 2019-08-07 – Update in the ongoing northern BC homicide investigations
- 2019-07-23 – Police request the public’s assistance in locating the suspects
- 2019-07-22 – Investigation continues into the deaths of Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese
- 2019-07-18 – Homicide investigation continues – Victims identified
- 2019-07-17 – Suspicious Death Investigation Continues
- 2019-07-16 – Police Investigate Suspicious Deaths
- 2019-07-24 – Charges laid in connection with Dease Lake homicide
- 2019-07-22 – Update – Police seek public assistance in identifying deceased male
- 2019-07-21 – Police seek public assistance in Dease Lake investigation
- 2019-07-19 – Vehicle fire near Dease Lake BC, leads to discovery of deceased male