–BC Wildfire Service, as posted on Facebook
Seeing smoke in November? There’s a good chance it may be a registered Category 3 open burn, but there’s a way you can find out for sure.
Our online Open Fire Tracking System (OFTS) map shows the location of every registered burn in BC.
Industry, ranchers, and other landowners conduct Category 3 open burns in the fall and spring, when conditions are cooler and wetter, to removes excess fuels from the forest and reduce fire hazard.
Of course, it’s always better to be safe than sorry, so if you think you see a wildfire, you can still report it to *5555 or 1 800 663-5555.
Local fire departments
- Sooke Fire Department: 250-642-5422
- Otter Point Fire Department: 250-642-6211
- Shirley Fire Department: 250-646-2107
- Port Renfrew Fire Department 250-647-0101
- East Sooke Fire Department: 250-642-4411