A reminder from Wild Wise Sooke on Facebook:
“Manage your fruit trees.
“This is the time of year that Bears start preparing for winter. Lessen their access to non-natural foods by gathering apples off the ground and picking fruit that is ripe.
“You can reduce the potential for wildlife visitation. Fruit off the ground is very popular with local livestock farmers. If you need contacts for pick up, sharing or need help, please post your free fruit or fruit tree on Sooke Social media pages.”
Unfortunately, Sooke PocketNews does not have access to Sooke Social, but if you do a search on Facebook, you will find it. If you are also banned from Sooke Social or don’t have access to (or don’t use) Facebook, feel free to leave your fruit-picking details here on SPN with your contact information (email, or phone number), and invite fruit pickers to contact your for the opportunity your yard or garden may present.
- Reminder from Wild Wise Sooke: Manage your fruit trees, be bear aware
- Bear Aware Reminder: Garbage management, bylaws, and fines
- Fifth bear killed in Sooke
- Recent bear kills (4) attributed to human-generated attractants
- As fruit ripens, non-habituated bears will move into the forests
- Increased bear sightings, what you need to know, and how to keep bears alive
- Bear sightings at Potholes, between parking lots 3 and 2
- How bears communicate (Video)
- A sure sign of spring for residents of Sooke is the return of bears.
- Bear in Area signs emerge from hibernation