The following post comes from the Langley RCMP. If you are suspect a scam, please contact Sooke RCMP. Contact information below.
New SCAM! Warn your friends!
It’s always a sad day when one of the Langley officers asks me to do another ‘new scam’ warning. Two reasons: First, it’s sad people have found one more way to steal someone else’s hard-earned money. And second, it’s sad this particular scam has found its’ way to Langley.
On the bright side, in this specific instance, the potential victim figured out the scam first and isn’t out any money. So let’s use her experience to make sure no one else falls victim…
Our Langley resident responded to a posting for a job as a caregiver for an elderly lady. She dealt with the ‘poster’ via email. He provided a name and indicated he would be out of town for the next few weeks and she should get things started to get his mother settled. He indicated he had found a rental suite for his mother and told her he would be sending her nearly $2500 on a bank draft in her name. She was to then send a money gram to the property representative.[sam id=”15″ codes=”true”]Our potential victim followed the instructions but had difficulty posting the funds through the money gram. She was now instructed to wire the money through Western Union to another name. This caused our complainant to become suspicious. She had a relative call the phone number provided by the ‘poster’ and the person who answered had a foreign accent. Immediately following this call, the ‘poster’ called back from a phone in another area code.
No more communications took place between our complainant and the ‘poster’. She has since been notified that the bank draft she was given was counterfeit.
Thankfully, our complainant was not defrauded of one cent of her money. The only thing she had to deal with is frustration and a few stops at the bank.
So what should you do? A few things come to mind.
- First, tell this story to everyone you know…. Let’s protect each other.
- Second, listen to your own ‘spidey senses’. If you think something sounds hinky, it probably is and take a wide berth.
- Third, when you encounter one of these scams, call police! Give us a chance to warn others!
Cpl. Holly Largy
Media Relations Officer
Langley RCMP Detachment – “Connected with our Community”
- Original article
- Sooke RCMP 250-642-5241
Other scam alerts posted on SPN
- Scam alert: Fake calls from police departments demanding bitcoin payment
- Scam: SIN scammers impersonate VicPD Officer
- Millennials account for half of all scam victims, Vancouver police launch NanaSays
- Are you one of the 101 million email accounts compromised via Ebrite, in a 2013 breach identified in 2019?
- BCSC wins in U.S. court to enforce order against fraudster
- Better Business Bureau’s top 10 scams of 2018
- Online dating – know what you’re signing up for
- Cyber fraud affecting businesses in the West Shore
- BC Hydro warns customers about scams after record number of attempts to defraud in 2018
- Crackdown in Mumbai has big impact on CRA tax scam
- Public warning as email-based “sextortion” scams reported
- Pornography scam uses your username and password information to extort bitcoin payment
- Emergency scam with a concerning variation
- New scam strikes with a new slick twist
- RCMP issue reminder that “gifting clouds,” aka pyramid schemes, are illegal
- Business directories: Double-check before writing them a cheque
- Scammers are at it again, this time threatening legal action
- A special prize just for you? Don’t be fooled into believing you are a sweepstakes winner
- March is Fraud Prevention Month: Here are some safety tips
- Fraud awareness: Merchants beware of counterfeit credit cards
- CRA scam prompts warning from detectives
- Don’t fill their wallets with gift cards
- Sooke RCMP issue CRA phone scam alert
- ICBC warning customers of text message scam
- No the CRA won’t tell you to e-Transfer Bitcoin or pay in iTunes cards
- Business e-mail compromise scam prompts warning
- Compromised image extortion trend leads to police warning
- LETTER: Scammed Sooke senior shares this randsomware story
- Envelope theft: Protecting yourself on your special day
- SCAM Reminder: CRA does not do transactions with links!