Like many other school districts in the province, SD62 is facing a funding shortfall for the upcoming school year. We are estimating a shortfall of approximately $1.7 million. While we have taken some initial action to reduce a portion of the shortfall, we will need to make changes in order to balance. Your child’s education is of the utmost important for everyone and we will do our best to maintain the level of quality education you are used to receiving.
How we are going to balance
The Board and our partner groups have decided to make balanced reductions across all employee groups in our district. We initially set our targets so that reductions would be equal across employee groups.
Our actual target changes have the Management group taking a larger reduction and the Teacher group a lower reduction than initially planned. The following shows the percentage of the budget that each group comprises and the dollar figure needed from each group in order to balance the budget.
What this looks like
- Management = 13%, $214,000
- Support Staff = 24%, $405,000
- Teachers = 63%, $1.1 million
Management = $456,000
- Remove Vice Principal
- Remove District Principal
- Reduce Speech & Language Pathologist Services
Support Staff = $405,000
- Youth & Family Counsellors
- Education Assistants
- IT Support
Teachers = $816,000
- Curriculum Coordination
- Deaf & Hard of Hearing
- Hospital & Home Bound Support
- Non-enrolling school-based staff
We are trying to create the least amount of impact to our students and staff, while balancing the budget at the same time. As a growing school district we are fortunate enough to receive more funding each year, unfortunately it is still not enough to cover the actual costs of maintaining a school district.
Thank you for your understanding and support while we transition through these reductions and balance the shortfall. For more information, please view the attached graphic or visit our 2016/17 Budget Series and Public Meetings online.
-SD62 Board of Education
Sooke School District 62
- May 10, 2016 *special meeting prior to ECOW. 7 p.m. at Belmont Secondary
Education Committee of the Whole (ECOW) Meetings
- May 10, 2016 – Belmont Secondary *special start time: 7:30 p.m.
- SD62 School Expansion (We’re growing to the tune of 100 students per year)
- Facebook Group: School District 62 Shortfalls
- Education by the numbers: Statistical snapshot schools in BC
- Still thinking of catching the school bus? If you hurry, you might still get on!
- SD62 plans to add 560 seats for students in Sooke schools over the next 10 years
- Belmont student dies of overdose, school district urges dialogue about drugs
- Free child care for young B.C. parents, but not in Sooke
- School bus etiquette: West Shore RCMP issue stop-sign reminder
- Poirier Elementary gets $105,000 for an accessible playground
- SD62 supports cultural learning program for Indigenous children, ages 2-5
- SD62 discusses proposed school bus changes, Thursday night
- Sooke School District gets new Superintendent starting September: Welcome Scott Stinson
- Camosun hosts a Women in Trades and Technology event for local high schools
- EMCS Open House: February 22, 2018
- B.C. students celebrate French immersion week
- French immersion, Nature Kindergarten in Sooke by enrollment not lottery
- Sooke School Board (SD62) comes to a decision on school buses
- CBC reports 300 students on school bus waitlist
- Sooke schools represented at Victoria Pride Parade
- Ravi Parmar replaces Bob Phillips as SD62 Chairperson
- ICBC calls on parents to help high school grads celebrate safely
- Starting Monday, students must show school bus passes
- Sooke Superintendent’s statement on Abbotsford tragedy, supporting our children
- Generation Next takes action for Waste Reduction Week in Sooke
- Reminder for parents: Register for the school bus before June 24
- Online bus registration for SD62 2016-17 now open
- Online bus registration delayed
- SD62 budget shortfalls addressed through cuts
- SD62 announces student bus fee increase
- OPEN LETTER: What should be priority spending for SD62 in Sooke?
- Sooke School District (62) posts calendars, looking for input by Mar 29
- SD62 (Sooke) school registration begins on Monday, K to 12: FAQs