-The following comes from a SD62 FAQ document.
What are the timelines for this year’s Kindergarten and General (1 through 12) registration?
Registration starts at 8:00 AM on Monday, January 25th, 2016. At that time, schools will accept in person registrations. Simultaneously, the on-line system will open up allowing parents to submit their information.
How do parents register their children on-line for Kindergarten this year?
Registration is being done on-line this year. In order to register, parents can use a web browser to visit: http://registration.sd62.bc.ca
Do parents have to line up to register at their neighbourhood catchment school, or for a program of choice?
No. All registrations for all programs, including French Immersion and Nature Kindergarten, are being taken on-line this year, and parents are encouraged to use the system.
Will our registration forms be numbered or time-stamped?[sam id=”15″ codes=”true”]We anticipate that most parents will register on-line this year. If a parent registers in-person, the school staff will enter their request into the same system that is being used by parents who will register directly on-line. The date and time of registration is recorded as of the moment this information is submitted to the on-line system.
Why is the district doing on-line registrations for students?
The on-line system is designed to work very much like an in-person registration. The main advantages are:
- Parents can register their children in the comfort of their own homes, eliminating the need to line up at the school on the morning of registration.
- Easier tracking of registrations from the moment they are entered until the student is admitted to the school.
- Consistent tracking of the date and time of registration across the entire school district
- Reduced administrative overhead for school staff.
How do parents register their children if they don’t own a computer, tablet, or smartphone?
We recommend that a parent make arrangements to use or borrow a computer or device in order to register their children. Parents without any other option can go to their neighbourhood school where the secretary will provide them with a paper form. Secretaries will then enter the information from the form into the on-line registration system on behalf of the family.
What if a family doesn’t have a computer and goes to register somewhere other than their neighbourhood school?
When this situation occurs, the family will be asked to attend their home school in order to complete a registration.
How does the on-line registration system work?
In order to use the online system, parents:
- Visit http://registration.sd62.bc.ca starting at 8:00 AM on Monday, January 25th, 2016
- Enter a valid email address c. Check their email to retrieve a validation code that is unique to them
- Enter the validation code into the form to continue with the registration
- Enter their current street address, and wait for the system to confirm their neighbourhood school
- Once the home school is confirmed, parents can still request either French
- Immersion or Nature Kindergarten on the electronic form
- Parents registering their children for Nature Kindergarten are presented with additional information reminding them that they must have attended an information session in advance for the application to be valid
- Enter all of the required information (in fields showing an asterisk)
- Enter as much of the additional information as possible
- Visit the verification screen in order to double-check the accuracy of their information
- Once confirming the information, submit the form electronically
- Within 14 calendar days of submitting the registration, parents must present their registration documents (proof of birth and residency, and any relevant legal documents [if applicable]) to the school. In the case of:
- Early French Immersion – the documents are presented to the French Immersion school
- Late French Immersion – the documents are presented to the French Immersion school
- Nature Kindergarten – If the student has already received confirmation that they have been accepted into the program, the documents are presented to Sangster School. Otherwise, they are presented to the neighbourhood (home catchment) school.
What do parents need in order to register on-line?[sam id=”15″ codes=”true”]The following information is required for parents to successfully register their children on-line:
- A valid email address that they can check easily
- A valid street address within the boundaries of School District #62 (Sooke)
It is also a good idea for them to have the following information handy when they fill out the registration at home:
- BC Care Card Number
- Doctor’s Name (if known)
- Dentist’s Name (if known)
- A list of known medical conditions
- The names and phone numbers of at least two emergency contacts
How can families currently living outside of the Sooke School District use the on-line system to register?
Families without a current and valid address within the school district’s boundaries can still use the system to register to attend a Sooke District school. However, they must:
- Contact the school where they intend to attend
- Request that a unique code be generated to identify them to the system
- Enter that code into the system on the same screen where they will enter their home address
How will the required documents be submitted to the schools?
Families must still submit the same documentation to the school as they have in previous years. This includes:
- Proof of age
- Proof of residency
- Any relevant legal documentation related to custody, guardianship and access (if applicable)
Within 14 calendar days of submitting their electronic registration, families must present this documentation to the school. Copies will be taken and retained for the school’s files to finalize the family’s registration request. At the time the family comes in to present their documents, the school may request parents complete any additional local school-based forms.
There is an exception to the 14 calendar days for Nature Kindergarten. Parents registering for this program must have their application form (agreeing to the conditions for attendance) in to Sangster Elementary by Friday, January 29th, 2016. Parents are responsible for ensuring the forms are received by Sangster before this deadline.
What happens if parents hand their documents in to the school after 14 days?
Schools will continue to accept required documents after the 14 day deadline. However, these documents are required to confirm a registration application. After these 14 days have elapsed, and if space is limited in a school, confirmed registrations (with accompanying documents) will be allocated to students with completed applications first.
Will all students who register on-line automatically be accepted into their home school?
The number of student spaces available in the school depends on projected staffing levels in September. We use the registration numbers and other sources of information to determine the number of teachers and student spaces that will be allocated to schools for September. Except in schools that are already very crowded, it is likely that children who are registered during the first week (from January 25th through 29th, inclusive) will attend their home school. That being said, it is important to remember that submitting a registration form is a request to register, one that schools will do their best to accommodate.
Schools that traditionally fill quickly might be exceptions to this. Although this can vary from year to year, traditionally the demand for Kindergarten space usually exceeds the available capacity at the following schools:
- Happy Valley Elementary
- Lakewood Elementary
- Ecole Poirier Elementary
How do parents registering on-line know where they stand in the overall registration queue?
Each registration is given a date and time stamp. The specific stamp that is assigned is the date and time that a student’s registration begins to be entered into the system. This means that the date stamp is assigned at the start of the registration process. This date/time stamp remains active for two hours after the registration form is opened. This gives a family plenty of time to complete a student registration.
It is important to remember that the order of registration is not the only determinant of whether a student will secure a place in a school. For example, our district makes every effort to ensure that newly-registered siblings of students already in a school are placed in that same school. In some cases, this could mean that a student who registers later will receive a place, even if available spaces are limited.
Will I have a better chance of getting into my neighbourhood school if I register in person?
In order for a registration to be processed, it must be entered into the on-line system. Forms received on paper will be entered into the system by school staff. In the event that there are a number of forms that are received at the same time by school staff, it is possible that a parent completing the form on-line will finish its submission before the school staff has a chance to process a paper-based form.
When using the on-line system, how do we register for French Immersion?
Registration for French Immersion happens in exactly the same way as for students entering the regular (English) program. When a student’s home address is entered, the parent will be given the option of selecting a check-box indicating their desire to be registered in French Immersion. The system will then allocate the registration request to the nearest identified French Immersion school. At that time, parents will have the option of taking their default French Immersion school, or choosing an alternate. This will be done through a pop-up menu when the school is selected.
When using the on-line system, how do we register for Nature Kindergarten?
Registration for Nature Kindergarten happens in exactly the same way as for students entering the regular (English) program. When a student’s home address is entered, the parent will be given the option of selecting a check-box indicating their desire to be registered in Nature Kindergarten. The system will then allocate the registration request to Sangster Elementary School. The system will also present a warning that in order for the registration to be accepted, parents must have attended one of the information sessions previously offered.
When will families find out if a student gets a space in their requested school?[sam id=”15″ codes=”true”]This depends on what program is requested:
- Nature Kindergarten – Placement decisions are made during the month of February. Families will be informed of the status of their request by February 28th.
- French Immersion and Regular (English) programs – Placement decisions are finalized during April and May. School will do their best to inform families as soon as possible, but this will be no later than May 30th. c.
- Transfer Requests – If a family has requested a school transfer, those decisions are between mid-May and the end of the current school year. Families are informed as soon as a request has been approved. Ideally, this is before June 30th. Requests that are not approved remain on file. In some cases, requests will be approved in the first three weeks of September.
What happens if a student requests a French Immersion or Nature Kindergarten and doesn’t get a space?
Available spaces in Nature Kindergarten and French Immersion are sometimes limited. Students who do not gain admission to a one of these programs will be waitlisted. While on the waitlist, a student’s registration will automatically be transferred back to their local neighbourhood school. This helps to ensure that every student who registers has a space in our district’s Kindergarten program.
Additional Information Added January 13th, 2015 – If a parent has requested Nature Kindergarten or French Immersion (both are called ‘programs of choice’) but doesn’t receive a spot, and if they are requesting a placement in a different program of choice, that request must be made at the student’s catchment school. A school change request form is not required, but a notation should be made in the registration system. For example:
A student who normally resides in the Wishart catchment requests Nature Kindergarten. The student is question doesn’t get into Nature K, so the registration reverts to Wishart’s list in the on-line system. After hearing that they don’t get into the program the family wishes to register for French Immersion. To accomplish this, they must contact Wishart, and make the request through them. The secretary then goes into the on-line system, and edits the student’s requested program. The on-line system will then make it possible for the registration to move from Wishart’s list to that of John Stubbs (the nearest French Immersion school).
Can families register more than one student at a time?
Yes. The system allows for that. Once the registration for a student is complete, a family can request to register another student. In this case, they do not click on the ‘submit’ button until all registrations are complete. This ensures that all Kindergarten children from a single family are allotted the same position in a school’s registration queue.
How do families request school changes if they don’t want to attend their neighbourhood school?
Families can request a change by submitting a School Change Request. This can be done in one of two ways: On-line, on paper. The district recommends using the on-line system to submit a change request.
In order to submit a School Change Request online, families can visit either:
Once the requested information is entered into the system, and the form is submitted, automatic notifications are sent to the family, the current school and the requested school. School changes will then be reviewed by the requested school’s administration. Once a request is processed, the family, and the home school will receive a notification by email updating them on the request’s status.
A family wishing to request a school change on paper must visit their current school (or next year’s home school if the student is moving into either middle or secondary school). They will be given a form which they can complete on site and return to the office staff. It is important to note that all forms received on paper will be entered into the same on-line system used for the other requests.
- Parent FAQ Online Registration (PDF)
- School Change Requests, online, starting 8am Jan 26
- Education by the numbers: Statistical snapshot schools in BC
- Still thinking of catching the school bus? If you hurry, you might still get on!
- SD62 plans to add 560 seats for students in Sooke schools over the next 10 years
- Belmont student dies of overdose, school district urges dialogue about drugs
- Free child care for young B.C. parents, but not in Sooke
- School bus etiquette: West Shore RCMP issue stop-sign reminder
- Poirier Elementary gets $105,000 for an accessible playground
- SD62 supports cultural learning program for Indigenous children, ages 2-5
- SD62 discusses proposed school bus changes, Thursday night
- Sooke School District gets new Superintendent starting September: Welcome Scott Stinson