Among the list of recipients is the Capital Regional District (CRD), for the expansion of the SEAPARC Leisure Complex Fitness and Multi-Purpose space, in the amount of $1,242,670.00.
From a CRD media release: “The expansion addresses the greater Juan de Fuca need for a fitness gym facility and additional multi-purpose space, as current space is at capacity. This addition will enhance the diversity of programs and recreation opportunities the complex offers with its current ice arena (built in 1976), two pools, one multi-purpose room and a meeting room (built in 2000).
“The expansion will increase the 4,739 square metre (51,020 square foot) footprint of the complex by 10%, or approximately 478 square metres (5,150 square feet). The addition includes a 144 square metre (1,550 square foot) movement studio and multi-use room and a 334 square metre (3,600 square foot) fitness gym.”
The District of Sooke is not on the recipient list. SPN is trying to ascertain if the District submitted an application in 2017. At the time of publication, we have not received that information.
Projects that received funding address municipal matters such as an OCP rewrite and zoning bylaw updates, pump station upgrades, wastewater integration, water treatment, infrastructure renewal, lighting, storm sewers, regional economic strategies, swimming pool improvements and replacements, transportation models and improvement plans, and waterfront walkways to name just a few.
- The total federal Gas Tax Fund contribution towards the 112 projects in B.C. is $192,980,158. This includes 58 capital projects ($184,539,746) and 54 capacity-building projects ($8,440,412).
- The Government of Canada provides more than $278 million in indexed, annual funding for local government infrastructure in B.C. through the federal Gas Tax Fund.
- UBCM administers the Gas Tax Fund in B.C., in partnership with the governments of Canada and B.C. The funding flows through UBCM to all local governments on a per capita basis.
- The funding for these projects comes through the application-based Strategic Priorities Fund of the federal Gas Tax Fund in B.C.
- Information about the federal Gas Tax Fund
- List of projects funded through the current intake of the federal Gas Tax Fund