–Wild Wise Sooke
The following notification was received by Wild Wise Sooke: “Cougar sighting on Sooke River Road at 3.30 am, just before the bridge. Good size.”
Wild Wise Sooke has subsequently posted the following reminder. Other tips (and sightings from last year) are in the Related section below.
- Cougars are active throughout the year
- Elusive animals that prefer to avoid contact with humans.
- Conflict encounters are uncommon
Stay safe and keep cougars wild by following these simple guidelines:
- Do not attract or feed wildlife.
- Deer, raccoons, mice and rabbits are natural prey and may attract cougars.
- Pet food or birdseed , garbage should be stored inside a secure building to prevent attracting rodents or raccoons
- Keep pets in at night.
- Install motion sensor lights.
- Be alert and aware when hiking, don’t hike alone And noise i.e. use your voice,Keep dogs leashed.
- Look for signs of fresh cougar activity i.e. claw marks on trees , cougars will cover unconsumed portions of their kill with twigs, leaf litter or soil. If you come across a cache, leave the area immediately
- Riding or running quickly and quietly puts you at risk for surprise encounters. Slow down going around blind corners and make noise.
Cougar kittens are usually well-hidden. However, if you do encounter cougar kittens, do not approach or attempt to pick them up. Leave the area immediately, females will defend their young.
Lastly, carry bear spray and know how to use it.
- Five cougar sightings near Royal Roads, April 24 & 25 2019
- Sooke cougar spotting prompts Wild Wise reminder
- CRD issues Cougar Sighting Warning for East Sooke Park near Anderson Cove
- Matheson Lake Cougar caught on video in East Sooke, April 2017
- A close encounter of the cougar kind
- Cougar safety tips from Ladysmith and Take5NewsTV
- Destroyed cougar attempted to enter a home, met human confrontation with aggression
- Cougar destroyed on Grant Rd
- Cougar Season (animal variety)
- Cougar alert for Whiffin Spit and area
- Cougar spotted by Sooke Chevron
- Cougar sightings trigger these tips from Wild Wise Sooke
- Cougar video, Sheringham Point Rd
- More cougar cautions for Sooke Potholes hiking area
- The Wild Wise Sooke website is your local wildlife information resource
- Cougar sightings in Sooke, a second take
- Cougar sightings in Sooke