Among the numerous BC Transit improvements announced for West Shore, there is one that will benefit Sooke commuters: Starting April 9, the bus formerly known as 61X will be renamed 65, and will use the new West Shore Parkway. Here is the formal announcement.
Starting Monday, April 9, transit riders in Greater Victoria will benefit from improved service in and to the Westshore area, including more effective connections that will take better advantage of the new Westshore Parkway and Westhills Exchange.
Westshore area improvements involve careful restructuring of existing routes and schedules to better meet the needs of the area’s growing population, while making use of available new roads, transfer points and community destinations.
- Route 47 Goldstream Meadows/Downtown will now start and end at Westhills Exchange
- Routing adjustments to routes 52 Colwood/Millstream/Bear Mountain, 53 Colwood/Langford and 56 Thetis Heights/Langford
- Route 57 will run as Thetis Heights/Langford to Langford Exchange, then continue on to Westhills Exchange as route 58 Goldstream Meadows
- Route 58 Goldstream Meadows will now provide service along Westshore Parkway
- A new route, 65 Sooke/Westhills/Downtown, will replace route 61X Sooke/Langford/Downtown, offering service via Westshore Parkway and Westhills Exchange
These adjustments are part of the Westshore Local Area Transit Plan, one of nine Local Area Transit Plans that are part of the Victoria Region Transit Future Plan. To learn more, visit Local Area Transit Plans.
In addition to these improvements to Westshore routes, regular spring service changes to the Victoria Regional Transit System will also become effective on April 9. These seasonal changes take into account lower ridership when colleges and universities are not in full session—adjusting for low demand at this time of year allows BC Transit to maintain higher service levels to match greater demand in fall and winter.
Seasonal spring service changes include:
- Service reductions on routes connecting to post-secondary institutions
- Improved Saturday service on route 7 Uvic/Downtown
- Improved weekend service on route 75 Saanichton/Royal Oak/Downtown
- Seasonal cancellation of route 76 Uvic/Swartz Bay (service will resume in September)
For information on routes, schedules and updates in Greater Victoria, please visit BC Transit online or call 250-382-6161.