Julie and Michael Howard are the owners of East Meets West, a fusion BnB. In their response to the Sooke PocketNews they provided this description of their B&B home-away-from home.
“Last year we opened our bed and breakfast in Sooke, which we named East Meets West. The BnB is situated in a three bedroom cottage, located on a beautiful four-acre farm property west of Sooke. Before moving here we had been living in Asia for 28 years and in setting up the BnB we wanted to share our experiences and our Asian art and antiques with appreciative guests.”
From their website: “After running an Oasis in Bangkok, we came to understand how much our guests enjoyed being in a home where they could interact with us during their stay as opposed to just talking to a hotel concierge. We have brought this same style of hosting to Otter Point and go far beyond answering questions about highway directions to engaging in lively discussions that enable us to get to know you, and you us ! We feel that by inviting you to share and experience the comfort of our home in the same way that we do, we are offering something that is truly unique.”
You’ll find this little piece of paradise listed on both Trip Adviser and AirBnB as well as on Facebook. And each listing comes with a handful of incredible reviews.
When did you first know that you wanted to be self employed?
Before moving here we operated a bed and breakfast in Bangkok, Thailand, our last Asian country of residence, and got tremendous pleasure out of interacting with our guests and helping them enjoy their visit to Bangkok.
What support systems did you have in place when you started?
We were new to Vancouver Island and really had no support systems in place. What we did have, however, was a firm belief in ourselves and our abilities and the conviction that we knew how to create an experience that our guests would find memorable.
The quality of our guests is the icing on our cake. We make a real effort to get to know them and they in turn are intrigued by our history and ‘our art and furniture from Asia. Before long, they settle down in front of the fireplace, and ‘our’ living room becomes ‘theirs’. The biggest challenge is, of course, the seasonable aspect of the business.
Would you do it again?
In a heartbeat.
- East Meets West: a fusion B&B on Facebook
- East Meets West: a fusion B&B online
4105 Otter Point Road(250) 642-4989
Our latest 10 Feature Entrepreneurs
- To be our next Feature Entrepreneur, click this link and complete the questionnaire.
- New plumbing and heating services comes to Sooke
- Sooke Feature Entrepreneur: Kevin Schumann, Molten Metal
- Sooke Feature Entrepreneur: Kyle Topelko, PipeMaster Plumbing
- Sooke Feature Entrepreneur: Gord Fulcher, Sooke Sailing Association
- Sooke Feature Entrepreneur: Heather Cochrane, Star Mobile Aesthetics
- Sooke Feature Entrepreneurs: Julie and Michael Howard of East Meets West, a fusion BnB
- Sooke Feature Entrepreneur: Sue Aufleger Osteopathy
- Sooke Feature Entrepreneur: SweetLegs Sooke with Emily Daigle
- Sooke Feature Entrepreneur: See Clearly Naturally with Joy Thompson
- Sooke feature entrepreneur: Guy & Stephanie Woods and Jason & Sarah Stephens of 642-wear