–Submitted to SPN
Like every summer, this year’s Sooke Fine Arts Show, open now until August 3, offers an exquisitely curated gallery of inspirational art pieces from Vancouver Island and BC’s coastal island artists. But unlike every summer, this year’s Sooke Fine Arts Show and its gallery of art works is online!
Sooke Fine Arts Society (SFAS) Executive Director Terrie Moore and her team have created a virtual art experience for an expanded online audience that showcases over 375+ juried works of painting, sculpture, fibre arts, glass and ceramics, jewellery, and photography in a virtual format.
Inside the show’s new web portal at sookefinearts.com are the same key features of the annual show but reimagined with all of the enhancements that technology can bring. Highlights include:
- An expansive Main Gallery where viewers can choose to see a tiled version of the art pieces or a slide show that scrolls through the pieces. The ability to view art by category is a great help, too. Another fun addition to the virtual gallery is the Room Viewer app that lets you see how your painting will look in a room in your house! And of course, purchasing your favourite piece is as easy as filling your online “cart.”
- Traditional child and youth-friendly events at the Fine Arts Show, like the Youth Art Gallery and Artz4Kidz are now exciting and interactive elements of the online show. The Youth Art Gallery is a virtual room in the online gallery containing juried artworks by Sooke District high school students. And instead of just one day at the physical Sooke Fine Arts Show, Art4Kidz now has a whole section of the website, appropriate for kids 12 and under, with online games, videos, links, and downloadable art for kids to complete at home.
- The Demos & Talks webpage contains links to artists demonstrations on everything from painting the beach to painting fur as well as a schedule of live artists Zoom talks for both young and old audiences.
- The tradition of live music at the Fine Arts Show continues in the Music section of the site where favourite musicians of past Sooke Fine Arts Shows have shared videos that offer stylish background music to your gallery exploration.
- This year’s silent Auction is even more private online! Donated art pieces, B&B stays, fishing charters, and more have been donated by generous local businesses to support Sooke Fine Arts Society programs, which can be bid upon in a private online form until August 3.
- In an effort to further support the artists, the artworks will be for sale on the site after the Show closes until the end of September.
There is something for everyone at the Sooke Fine Arts Show that can be experienced safely at home for free at www.sookefinearts.com from July 24 to August 3, with art sales continuing through Sept 30.