The following was posted by the Sooke Fire Rescue Service, on Facebook.
The fire danger rating has been lowered to ‘HIGH’ in the District of Sooke.
Please note that forest fuels remain dry and the fire risk is still serious. New fires may start easily, burn vigorously, and challenge fire suppression efforts.
Residents are asked to continue being extremely cautious with forest activities.
Open air burning is still restricted (including campfires, beach fires and all backyard burning).
High-risk activities, such as brushing, blasting, chainsaw use and flail mowing, are now allowable, but please be vigilant with use.
- Burning regulations in Sooke (Opening burning allowed from Oct 1 to May 31, but please refer to these regulations for specific details)
- Follow Government Fire Info on Twitter
- Follow Government Fire Info on Facebook
To report a wildfire, please call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone. Local non-emergency numbers (in case of emergency, please phone 9-1-1):
- Sooke Fire Department: 250-642-5422
- Otter Point Fire Department: 250-642-6211
- Shirley Fire Department: 250-646-2107
- Port Renfrew Fire Department 250-647-0101
- East Sooke Fire Department: 250-642-4411
Since you’re here, we have a small favour to ask.
At 1.7 million page views over the past year, more people than ever are reading SPN. We had hoped advertising local services and events would sustain this service, but that has not come to pass. Advertising revenues are falling; status quo is unsustainable. Readers, please consider a small monthly donation. This can help secure the future of SPN. Business owners: Please consider an ad. More than massive local exposure, you will also be affiliated with an independent business that is 100% local, 99% paperless, and highly valued by the 98%. That’s priceless.
Thank you for your continued readership.
Or, you set the amount, one-time contribution.
Alternatively, click here to make a $10 donation using SPN PayPal.me. (You can change the donation amount on the landing page by clicking on the dollar amount.)