September 27, 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Sooke Fire Rescue Service, 2225 Otter Point Rd
Stephenson Fire Station
“Come learn and ask questions about what it is like to be on the front lines as a volunteer firefighter in Sooke. Learn about the training program and how we develop high quality firefighters that protect our community night and day. If you are ready for a challenge, come find out what you’ve been missing.”
See the Facebook Event page for more details
From the District of Sooke Website:
Applications for Volunteer Firefighters are accepted all year round. Next recruit class is January 2017. Applications are available online, at Fire Station #1, 2225 Otter Point Road, or by contacting Assistant Chief Matt Barney, Training Officer at 250-642-5422.
Training sessions for new recruit firefighters begin in January 2017 at Fire Station #1. When basic training is completed, successful applicants will be issued a pager and can begin attending emergency calls.
Volunteer Firefighter Requirements:
- Resident of the District of Sooke
- High School Graduation or GED
- Canadian citizen or landed immigrant status
- Driving record that demonstrates safe and responsible driving behaviour
- Must be in good physical condition and able to successfully complete agility test
- At least 19 years of age
- Current drivers license and access to vehicle
- Must pass a criminal record check
- Must be able to attend all scheduled training sessions
- Must work well with others and be able to function in the dynamic and fast paced emergency services.
- Must be medically fit
See the District of Sooke Volunteer Firefighters page for more information