Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue – Station 37 Sooke
Request for Assistance off Port Renfrew
At 4:48 p.m. on Monday September 25, RCMSAR Station Sooke was tasked by Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre (JRCC) Victoria to assist a 42 foot sailing vessel unable to move through lack of wind (aka “becalmed”), south of Port Renfrew.
The vessel, with a crew of two on-board, was also experiencing mechanical and electrical problems. With no working radar or navigational lights, it was important to help them get into the closest safe port.
Crews departed for the 34 nautical mile journey westward. Seas and winds were light, which allowed crews to get on-scene in just over an hour.
A bridle tow was rigged, and the 3.5 nautical mile assist into Port Renfrew was successful, securing the sailing vessel and crew after nightfall.
The near 40 nautical mile journey back brought crews home around 10:00 p.m., after being at sea for the past 5 hours.
- Marine rescue tends to overturned boat in the Sooke Basin
- Sooke’s water rescue team tends to grounded vessel Dec 3
- Late morning call-out on Friday for Sooke’s marine Search and Rescue
- Sooke marine rescue tasked to Port Renfrew to assist, Monday afternoon
- Sooke marine rescue called out to assist three in a boat stuck in thick Bull Kelp, East Sooke
- Sooke’s marine rescue recognized with an award
- Sooke marine rescue tends to early morning head injury
- Sooke responds to Mayday off Possession Point on Friday evening
- Marine rescue tend to head injury near Sheringham Lighthouse
- Vessels of opportunity work with Sooke’s marine search and rescue to assist adrift vessel
Since you’re here, we have a small favour to ask.
At 1.7 million page views over the past year, more people than ever are reading SPN. We had hoped advertising local services and events would sustain this service, but that has not come to pass. Advertising revenues are falling; status quo is unsustainable. Readers, please consider a small monthly donation. This can help secure the future of SPN. Business owners: Please consider an ad. More than massive local exposure, you will also be affiliated with an independent business that is 100% local, 99% paperless, and highly valued by the 98%. That’s priceless.
Thank you for your continued readership.
Or, you set the amount, one-time contribution.
Alternatively, click here to make a $10 donation using SPN PayPal.me. (You can change the donation amount on the landing page by clicking on the dollar amount.)