At 11:00 a.m. on June 20, 2016, Staff Sergeant Jeff McArthur met with the media to debrief them on two arrests made yesterday. Following is the information he provided, followed by a nine-minute video of the conference.
The arrests of two men, Josh Lafleur and an unidentified male, made on June 19 in Sooke are the follow-up of a June 14 shooting and investigation. The shooting occurred on Ella Street in Sooke on a Tuesday evening. Previous reports indicate that it was a targeted shooting, at a pre-arranged confrontation. All parties involved are known to the police.
At the time of the shooting, two males were injured. One has been released and the other remains in hospital in stable condition.
Since the shooting, three males were sought by the RCMP. One, Dustin David Brown was arrested the day after the shooting and was charged with attempted murder. Two males were still sought.
On Friday, June 17, there was an intensive man-hunt in the Thetis Lake area. According to today’s press conference, that’s where two firearms were recovered, one of which was loaded.
On Sunday evening at 10:30 p.m., two safe arrests were made in Sooke, in the Kirby/Dixon Rd mobile home park. Josh Lafleur and an unidentified 21 year old male from Sooke were found in the crawl space of a manufactured home. The information was received as a tip to the RCMP. A police dog was utilized, and one of the arrested males was checked out at the hospital and duly released into police custody following the arrest.
The name of the unidentified male from Sooke will be released after charges are laid.
S/Sgt. Jeff McArthur thanked the public for the many tips the public provided to the RCMP over the past six days. He also thanked other local community RCMP forces for their assistance with the manhunt.
Currently, the only charge being considered is attempted murder. An investigation is ongoing.
- Sooke RCMP hold a press conference to debrief media on June 19 arrests
- Sooke shooting suspects arrested
- Heavy police presence reported in Sooke
- Update To Search for Two Outstanding Males – Saturday, June 18, 2016
- Dustin David Brown charged with two counts of attempted murder, Sooke shooting
- One Male Arrested in Sooke Shooting, Two Males Remain Outstanding
- POLL: Sooke is a safe place to live, true or false?
- Sooke RCMP looking for 25-year-old Joshua Nicholas Lafleur, Sooke shooting
- Sooke RCMP issue a release on the Sooke shooting
- News reports of shootings in Sooke