According to an ICBC crash map, the section of Sooke road officially in Sooke experienced 387 crashes in the years from 2011 to 2015. Hot spots were at the intersections of Murray/Otter Point (59 crashes), Gillespie (42), and Belvista (41). Sooke at Church saw 36 crashes.
But wait, there’s more!
The segment officially in Metchosin saw 22 accidents, 16 of which happened on Sooke at Kangaroo Rd.
The section in Langford (starting at Jacklin) saw 391, with hotspots at Happy Valley (165), Jacklin (107), and Humpback (27) in third.
That’s a grand total of 837 crashes on Highway 14 between Jacklin and Otter Point, in years between 2011 and 2015.
The province is working on a study. It was due in late 2017, but the Premier scrapped that one and said the plans had to be more comprehensive (the previous scope was only to the bridge at Phillips). The new study, whenever that comes out, will evaluate Highway 14 all the way out to Port Renfrew.
David Evans, owner of The Stick coffee house, has long advocated for a safer highway, and is one of the founders of the #DividedBy14 Twitter campaign. According to an early morning tweet from Evans, some information on future improvements are only a few weeks away.
— The Stick in the Mud (@thesticksooke) January 15, 2018
Hi Stick in the Mud. Information on future improvements will be available in the coming weeks.
— BC Transportation (@TranBC) January 15, 2018
- A Crash that Forever Changed Two Families (Times Colonist article)
- Langford mayor calls for safety changes on Sooke Rd (CHEK News article)
- Safer sidewalks, upgraded intersection coming to Sooke
- New rest area near Sombrio Beach opening over long weekend
- Members of the North Sooke Community Association bring Sooke Rd realignment concerns to Council
- Highway 14’s future taking shape, Sooke River Road intersection on the horizon
- Sooke Students delayed or stuck as a result of today’s crashes on Sooke Rd
- Two crashes tie up Sooke Rd, one near the Shell station one near Stickleback
- Crash on Sooke Rd at EMCS Sept 4 2018 2:55pm
- Nightly closures on Gillespie Road
- Sunday is last day to provide input on Highway 14 Corridor Improvements
- New bus pullouts now operational on Highway 14
- Open Letter: “Are you kidding me?” BCHwy14 open house disappoints
- Overview of improvements to Sooke Road: Ministry Open House
- Public invited to provide input on Highway 14 upgrades
- New crosswalks on Sooke Road
- Digging deep as the Sooke Road improvements continue
- Bus stop blunder: Six recently installed bus stop pads need replacing
- Sooke Road improvements update from the mayor
- Stumped by the post?
- Expect traffic delays with Highway 14 ongoing improvements
- Fundraiser for the other family impacted by the deadly December crash on Sooke Rd
- Letter: Park the panic when it comes to Sooke Road!
- Video: What this Port Renfrew student thinks of today’s announcement
- Improvements on Sooke Rd to begin immediately
- Sooke Road experiences 837 crashes between 2011-2015
- Sooke mayor awaits provincial Hwy14 report, says staff are working on in-town improvements
- Sooke Rd accident fatal
- Head on MVI closes Sooke Rd
- Wednesday afternoon crash on Sooke Road
- LETTER: OPSRRA pleased the Hwy14 corridor review will extend to Port Renfrew
- Sooke Fire reporting mid afternoon crash, Sooke at Manzer
- Early morning vehicle incident closes #BCHwy14
- Corridor study of Highway 14 to be concluded this fall (2017)
- CHEK Video: Sooke residents want safety changes to Highway 14
- #bchwy14 Accident on the four lanes, detour using Kangaroo or Gillespie – UPDATE: NOW OPEN
- Fast-moving brush fire on Sooke Rd near Kangaroo fully contained
- Intersection safety improvements coming to Hwy 14 at Parkland, Gillespie and Connie
- #DividedBy14: Drive attention on Hwy 14 by using this hashtag on social media
- Sooke Rd closed at Luxton
- Sooke Road closed in both directions around noon, March 7, 2017
- Dashcam video shows Sooke Rd MVI
- MVI on 4500 block of Sooke Rd
- Sooke fire issues grim reminder
- Night driving on Highway 14 fraught with dangers
- Crash on Sooke Rd near 17 Mile Pub, Sunday Oct 16, 1:10pm
- Fatal single vehicle crash on Sooke Road
- UPDATE: Single lane alternating || ORIGINAL: Wednesday afternoon crash closes Sooke Rd at Connie
- Collecting support for a sign on Sooke Rd at Manzer Rd
- Crash on Sooke Rd near 17 mile, closes road temporarily
- Crash on Sooke Rd. and Manzer, cleared; another crash on Sooke Rd at Glenshire
- Highway 14 overhead sign and corridor study in the works