At a Special Council meeting held on July 15, 2019, the District of Sooke has set the by-election for September 28, 2019. This by-election is to fill the council vacancy left by Brenda Parkinson, who died in late June.
Carolyn Mushata is appointed as the Chief Election Officer and Patty Rear as the Deputy Corporate Officer. The nomination packages are ready to go and can be picked up at any time. Additional information is available at ElectionBC.
- July 22, 2019 Candidate information package available (though at the July 15th meeting it was stated that they are available now)
- August 13, 2019 Nomination period begins at 9:00 am
- August 23, 2019 Nomination period ends at 4:00 pm
- August 23, 2019 Declaration of candidates (after 4:00 pm)
- August 30, 2019 Deadline to submit originals of nomination documents and last day for a candidate to withdraw
- September 2, 2019, Declaration of election by voting or acclamation
- September 18 and 25, 2019 Advance voting at municipal hall
- September 28, 2019, General Voting Day
- October 2, 2019, Last possible day to declare official by-election results
- October 15, 2019, Elected candidate to take the oath of office
- December 27, 2019 Filing deadline for campaign financing disclosure statements (Local Elections Campaign Financing Act)
- January 27, 2020, Late filing deadline with late filing fee for campaign financing disclosure statements (Local Elections Campaign Financing Act)
Also note, the federal election takes place on Oct 21, 2019.