At an awards ceremony held on March 27, 2019 in Bermuda, Sooke’s Mary-Anne Bowcott (founder/owner of Westcom Plumbing and Heating and a graduate of Camosun) was one of two people honoured with Canadian Construction Association (CCA) recognition as the 2018 CCA Person of the Year Award.
From the CAA website:
CCA is pleased to present both Mary-Anne Bowcott and Tom Rankin with the 2018 CCA Person of the Year Award.
Mary-Anne Bowcott has accomplished much in a short period of time. As a small-business owner, journeyman plumber, class B gasfitter, and certified steep-slope roofer, Mary-Anne is living proof that hard work pays off. The owner of Westcom Plumbing, Mary-Anne is a shining example of the 10% of women that make up the trades in B.C. She has also contributed to increasing the number of women in the industry by taking on numerous female apprentices since the inception of her company in 2015. In a few short years, she has grown her business and garnered the respect of not only her clients, but of her community – taking home the Sooke Region Chamber of Commerce Trades and Skilled Labour Excellence Award in 2017 and 2018 and the 2018 BC Construction Industry Leader Award.
Related, on SPN
- Business Excellence Award winners and runners up
- What does a Women in the Trades look like?
- Feature Entrepreneur: Mary-Ann Bowcott, Westcom Plumbing and Heating
Women in the Trades
- Sooke tradeswoman Mary-Anne Bowcott named 2018 CCA Person of the Year
- BC Construction Association launches “Don’t be a tool” campaign
- BC Tradeswomen Society president calls for ‘real change’ to address systemic discrimination
- Builders Code program aims to make construction workforce 10 per cent women by 2028
- New Apprenticeship Incentive grant for women to help them get certified in Red Seal trades
- Scholarships creating opportunities for women in tech
- New Crown Corp oversees infrastructure projects, priority opportunities for Indigenous, women and youth
- Province funds Achieve Anything, a program promoting women in trades
- Sooke journeyperson Mary-Anne Bowcott named as a Construction Leadership Award Winner 2018
- Women seeking careers in the trades get a provincial boost
Mary-Anne Bowcott in other media
We’re thrilled to see #Camosun alum & Sooke-based plumber Mary-Anne Bowcott get recognized for her achievements – she was just named the Canadian Construction Association person of the year! https://t.co/o8XgVn5Jp2 #womenintrades #womeninconstruction #yyjtrades @ConstructionCAN pic.twitter.com/X4gsiL9ueD
— Camosun Alumni (@CamosunAlumni) April 4, 2019