The Sooke Harbourside Lions are coordinating their annual Purina Walk for Guide Dogs on Sunday June 21, 2015. The walk begins at 11 a.m. on Whiffen Spit, and registration happens from 10:30 onward.
See the resources section below for the contact information, to donate, and/or to register.
Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides (LFCDG) is a national charity. Its mission is to assist Canadians with a medical or physical disability by providing them Dog Guides at no cost.
Since 1983, Lions Foundation of Canada has provided specially trained Dog Guides to more than 2,150 men, women and children from coast to coast. Each Dog Guide costs approximately $25,000 to raise and train but they are provided at no cost to qualified applicants.
Lions Foundation of Canada operates three facilities in Ontario, the head offices and training facility in Oakville, and a breeding and training facility in Breslau. All Dog Guides and required training, including transportation and accommodation, are provided at no cost to qualified applicants.
Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides does not receive any government funding and relies on the support of donations and fundraising events from service clubs, corporations, foundations and individuals across the country.
Dog Guides Canada trains six different types of Dog Guides:
- Canine Vision Dog Guides – For people who are blind or visually impaired
- Hearing Ear Dog Guides – For people who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Service Dog Guides – For people who have a physical disability
- Seizure Response Dog Guides – For people who have epilepsy
- Autism Assistance Dog Guides – For children who have autism spectrum disorder
- Diabetic Alert Dog Guides – For people who have type 1 diabetes with hypoglycemic unawareness
- Sooke Harbourside Lion’s website
- Sooke’s Purina Walk for Guide Dogs – To donate or register as a walker
- Contact: Nancy Reinders
- Phone: 250-642-6062
- Email: email@example.com