Sooke’s Harbourside Cohousing, a Canadian front-runner in senior cohousing, is moving full steam ahead. January 15 marked the completion as that was when their strata title was registered, and the issuing of all 31 units complete. Members began moving in that same day.
“Harbourside Cohousing is on budget and has an ‘interested list’ of 232 people who want to know if a unit becomes available,” wrote one of the founding members, Margaret Critchlow to Sooke PocketNews. “We were sold out before construction started. Now we have moved in, and all is well.” A glance at their availability page on their website confirms this: They have no more units for sale, and only one rental.
[sam id=”15″ codes=”true”]Their mandate is to “build a neighbourhood of strata-titled housing for seniors that is affordable, environmentally friendly, and socially/culturally supportive, allowing people to flourish through mutual support as they age in place and in community.”
“Harbourside is the only cohousing community in the world, as far as we know, to have required a course on Aging Well in Community for every equity member household.” (Feb 1, 2015 newsletter)
Sooke Harbourside Cohousing is located on a two acre sea-side property that is within minutes of easy walking distance to the heart of Sooke, at 6669 Horne Rd. There’s even space for residents’ boats at their dock. Sooke PocketNews carried the letter from Ralph Hull (our FIRST letter to the editor, see Resources below) where the cohousing project was first announced on our pages. We also covered the CBC interview that Margaret Critchlow did with CBC.
- Harbourside, on the Canadian Senior Cohousing website
- Harbourside Cohousing website
- Sign up for their newsletters here
- West Wind Harbour: Sooke’s Second Cohousing Development
- A second cohousing development springs up in Sooke: Introducing West Wind Harbour Cohousing
- Official opening of Harbourside Senior Cohousing, photo gallery
- Founding members wanted: New Cohousing Opportunity in Sooke
- VIDEO: Back when Sooke’s Harbourside Cohousing community was just an idea
- Sooke’s best kept secret: A senior cohousing community with 31 units sets a Canadian standard
- Sooke’s Harbourside Cohousing is going full steam ahead
- ICYMI: “My Last Big Adventure” … Harbourside, Sooke’s Senior Co-Housing project, hits the national airwaves
- Sooke’s senior co-housing project gets noticed, nationally
- LETTER: Sushi ON The Sea sets sail