Sponsorship Update: 20 March 2017
–From Sharon Sterling
Imagine risking your life to take your children from persecution and war to safety. Imagine leaving behind everything to try for a new start in Canada, then waiting almost three years to find out whether you will be given a chance.
Imagine you are finally are told ”yes”!
It is with great delight the Team Sooke/Juan de Fuca Refugee Sponsorship Committee announces that the Iraqi family of four they are sponsoring has been officially accepted to Canada.
The next wait is for the travel documents to be arranged. This could take as little as six weeks, but could take several more months. In the meantime, the parents and their two daughters (13 and 21) are working hard on English, and learning everything they can about their new home. They know this has been a community-wide effort, and look forward to moving to such a welcoming place.
Team Sooke/JdF is doing their best to make plans without yet having an arrival date. The priority is to begin the search for affordable accommodation. They are hoping for:
- Two or three bedrooms
- Near the main bus route (61)
- Ideally in the Sooke town core
The sponsorship group will sign a lease on behalf of the family, and will guarantee that the property will be maintained according to the terms of the lease.
If anyone has a lead on a property that might be available this spring or early summer, they should phone Howard Taylor at 250.642.0908, or send an email to email@example.com
- Sooke/Juan de Fuca sponsored Iraqi family has arrived
- Sponsored refugee family arrives in December, still need a place to call home
- Sponsorship team expects a family of four from Iraq to arrive shortly
- Local refugee sponsorship group achieves fundraising target
- Enjoy a taste of Iraq at the Sooke Fall Fair
- Team Sooke/JdF Refugee Sponsorship group seeks household items, wishlist
- Update on local refugee sponsorship
- Sooke group wanting to sponsor a refugee family asks for help
- Bus passes for refugees
- Program matching Syrian relief donations extended to Feb 29
- UPDATE on the Sooke/JdF effort to sponsor a refugee
- BC Government contributes to incoming refugees
- LETTER: Sooke sets out to help refugees through private sponsorship; here’s how you can help
- New provincial fund to help Syrian refugee settlement (Includes photos and latest Tweets from Sooke’s Rebecca Collard)