This story comes to SPN through a reader. As you may know, SPN has been following the fentanyl crisis. See the Related articles below. The mother, Janice Walker (who lived in Sooke before Joe was born), was interviewed by CBC this morning. Joe died on December 11. Here is their story.
In case this embed code isn’t working, you can go to this story on CBC directly, here or here.
- Cautious optimism: illicit drug toxicity deaths down for first five months of 2019
- Provincial Factsheet: Latest statistics and recent actions taken to prevent overdoses in B.C.
- Fentanyl death laced with regret: When you don’t get to say I love you
- Victoria among 20 B.C. communities receiving funds for overdose crisis
- Over 1,400 B.C. residents died of suspected illicit drug overdoses in 2017
- The nightmarish body count from drug overdoses continues: Here are the latest stats
- Overdose Alert: AIDS Vancouver Island issues this warning
- Illicit drug deaths in first eight months of 2017 show deepening overdose crisis in B.C.
- From fires to fentanyl, from homes to homelessness, Horgan’s UBCM keynote covered the gamut
- Fentanyl detected in 81% of illicit drug deaths in B.C. in 2017
- International Overdose Awareness Day: 780 lives lost in BC so far this year
- Carfentanil creeps into Victoria, West Shore
- June illicit drug-death numbers
- A Sooke man is sharing his near-death, overdose story in an attempt to warn others
- May’s daily death toll from illicit drug use in BC exceeds four per day
- Illicit drug-related deaths still critical in BC: April is second highest number ever
- New service available for people addicted to opioids in Victoria
- Good Samaritan Drug Overdose Act becomes law in Canada
- Overdose deaths in March the third highest number for a single month
- Illicit drug deaths in January still high