Most of us tend to do “ spring cleaning”; however, Wild Wise Sooke is suggesting a fall/winter cleaning, as it might be better for wildlife.
During the spring, most wild animals are looking for places to den, nest and raise their babies. This can often be in places that are not “convenient” for us—when we think about it, we are looking for a safe, quiet place to raise our young so it makes sense that our warm and dry homes attract other animals as well.
Most wild animals begin the search for this safe space in late winter/early spring and may continue to use that space into the summer. By the time fall rolls around, most wild animal babies should be mostly grown and mobile and may even be dispersing.
This makes the fall and winter a great time to check your house for possible holes and den sites. Remember that attic, basements and garages tend to be favourite spots. By sealing up these areas in the fall, we are preventing separating Mom from babies or sealing young animals inside our homes.
For more information please contact Wild Wise Sooke on Facebook or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sam Webb – Community Coordinator
Debbie Read-Urban Wildlife Conflict Specialist
- Wild Wise Sooke: Local bears need absence of human interference to successfully hibernate
- Wild Wise Sooke: The latest bear hotspots in Sooke (Oct 9, 2019)
- Wild Wise Sooke: Bears out in Sooke, full force!
- Wild Wise Sooke issues dire warning: clean up your trash or see more bear conflicts
- Preparing for hibernation season in bear country
- Preparation for hibernation puts bears on a massive calorie intake search
- Want fewer bears put down? Manage your garbage, pick your fruit!
- Increased bear sightings, what you need to know, and how to keep bears alive
- Bear sightings at Potholes, between parking lots 3 and 2
- Black bear wants some water play in Sunriver
- A sure sign of spring for residents of Sooke is the return of bears.
- Bear in Area signs emerge from hibernation
- Wild Wise Sooke presents falling numbers in Sooke
- Bear conflicts are on the rise
- Wild Wise Sooke reminds SUNRIVER residents to store garbage indoors and manage attractions
- Reminder from Wild Wise Sooke: Bears are emerging from the hills
- Be bear-wise in Sooke: Bear-proof your yard
- First bear destroyed, Wild Wise Sooke urges education
- Be Bear Wise: Wild Wise Sooke suggests spring cleaning, minimize attractants
- More cougar cautions for Sooke Potholes hiking area