–Wild Wise Sooke
This week has been a very busy week for bears. They are out in full force and we’re trying to keep them from getting into mischief.
We need your help! Please read and follow these tips and most importantly report any sightings and conflicts to us so we can monitor the situation and prevent future human-bear conflicts:
- Store your garbage in a secure shed/garage/building until the morning of collection
- Separate organic and food waste from regular trash and freeze if possible to reduce smell
- Store livestock and bird feed in a secure shed/building/garage
- Do not feed pets outdoors
- Rinse your recycling before putting it in the bin
- Consider using an electric fence around your livestock and bee hives
- Tidy your yard of food scraps, oils and trash
- Clean your BBQ after every use
- Pick your fruit before it ripens and prevent windfall
- Report all sightings and conflicts to us!
Bear hot spots this week include the following neighbourhoods:
- Otter point road
- Stone creek place
- 2300 block French
- Grant road
- 5600 block Woodlands
- Davidson Road/Kemp Lake
- West Coast road and Carpenter
Watch for our bright yellow signs in your neighbourhood and be extra vigilant at securing your attractants. We need to all work together to prevent human-bear conflicts. If you have a bear sighting to report or would like to volunteer with us, please contact us!